Have you completed your Advance HealthCare Directive?
Who should have an Advance Healthcare Directive?
Everyone over age 18!
In Connecticut, Advance Healthcare Directives include:
- The living will and health care instructions
- The appointment of a health care representative
Completing an Advance Healthcare Directive allows you to:
- Provide your directions or express your preferences concerning health care for the time when you might not be able to speak for yourself.
- Appoint a healthcare representative to act on your behalf.
- Discuss wishes with your agent, loved ones, and your doctor.
- Give copies to your agent, loved ones and MD
- Periodically review and make any changes.
The key to effective advance care planning is talking with your loved ones and your healthcare provider. How do you communicate your deepest values and priorities related to quality of life? Who should you choose to be our agent? How do you talk with your doctor about our wishes regarding life sustaining treatment? It is important to think about the things that matter most to you in your life. There are many resources available on line to help answer these questions.